Friday, October 24, 2008

The Evolution of an Oatmeal Eater

I have been making baby food. It's actually really easy, although it takes some time, and when you freeze them in ice cube trays, it makes the perfect amount to be popped in the microwave and fed to Graham. So far, I have frozen a ton of applesauce, as well as prunes, sweet potatoes, carrots, and blueberries (which were the only food I probably won't do again).

The other day I was looking at a box of baby oatmeal. "Why do they charge so much for this?" I asked myself. "I can buy a whole canister of adult oatmeal for half of what I paid for this box." And so my quest to create baby cereal began. I put the oatmeal in the food processor and ground it up. And ground it again. And again. For some reason, it just wouldn't turn into those nice little flakes you get in the baby cereal box. We decided last night to try it anyway. Even after warming it up, it looked kind of gritty and goopy. We figured Graham could handle it. Here's what it looked like:

1. Yay! I get cereal! I love cereal!



2. This is NOT my normal cereal.



3. What IS this new devilry?



4. Egad! MAKE IT STOP!!



That's when we threw it out. It wouldn't even come out of the bowl very easily--I had to waterblast it, and it slid out like a giant slug. Then we gave him some baby cereal, upon which we decided it was worth the extra dollar.

3 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

wow, i'm impressed you've been making your own food. i always had grand ideas about doing that but never got around to it.

Valerie said...

It's not hard at all... Especially when Will bought a bushel of apples and we had to figure out something to do with them. :)

sassystitcher said...

Cereal preferences are never to be trifled with...you should know that :) Did your mom tell you I waited on her and your dad at Borders a couple of weeks ago? Funny! :)

...which is now mostly about the kids.