Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Conversation.

As I was walking away from the checkout line at the grocery store yesterday, a sweet little lady (for our purposes, I'll call her 'Pearl') came up and started fawning over Graham. Here's an excerpt:

Pearl: "Oh my goodness! What an adorable baby! Look at you! Red hair and blue eyes! Tell me that is a girl."

Valerie (noting that Graham was, indeed, wearing blue): "Nope, it's a boy."

Pearl: "Oh, well, you are just going to be a heartbreaker! Look how cute you are!"

Valerie (noting that Graham was still in his pajamas which were now quite dirty, had a slobber-covered chin and a big scab by his eye where he scratched himself...): "Thank you."

Pearl: "What did you name him? Oh, don't tell me. I've got a name in my head that I think it is."

Valerie: "We named him Graham."

Pearl: "Oh, Graham, what a sweet name! You look just like a Graham. I was going to guess Bruce."

----

She went on for a little while longer and I just smiled. I think she really meant every word she said, but it sure came out funny.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, he is cute enough to be a girl.And we enjoyed ourselves tremendously while we were out. You have to get the video from Kim where Graham is making those faces. She showed it this week end and everyone laughed. He is adorable.

Valerie said...

Everyone loves his red hair, so he has you to thank for that. :) I'll have to get the video at Thanksgiving--it was awfully funny.

Leigh Ann said...

well he can't help it he is so daggum' cute! :)

...which is now mostly about the kids.