Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hurricane Ike

Who would've thought that Hurricane Ike would reach us up here, give us 3 days off from work, and leave us otherwise unscathed? I know a lot of people who had storm damage or power outages from it, but we just had a yard full of twigs. It came through on Sunday with a lot of wind (but no rain to speak of) and blew trees down all over the place. Our power flickered, but all we lost was our internet access for the evening. Then Will's work site was closed for 3 days because they couldn't get the power back on. SO... neither of us had to work until today, and we basically got to sleep in every day and hang out as a family. We realize just how fortunate we were not to lose power so I don't want to seem insensitive, but it was one of the most fun, productive, and unexpected vacations we've had. :)

Yesterday afternoon we decided to go out for lunch and visit a local kids science center, where we saw a glass blowing demonstration and some cool stuff that I hadn't seen since college.

Graham's favorite was the wavy mirrors, although I think he was confused by them:





And here's our infrared family portrait, which I think should be our Christmas picture. One thing to note--the big purple splotch on Graham's bib is from his drool...



Back to work today, but I can't complain. :) It was a nice break!

4 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

wow, nice! that's the best - an unexpected vacation where you have nothing planned. glad you enjoyed it and didn't have any damage from the storm.

Leigh Ann said...

haha, i just looked at the big version of the pictures. the infrared one is funny...i like how graham has a little red splotch right on top of his head and it looks like Will is wearing lipstick.

Valerie said...

Actually, Will IS wearing lipstick... :)

Michelle said...

Hahaha, I love the fun mirrors.

...which is now mostly about the kids.