Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Keeping My Spots

Getting sunscreen on before we go outside is a major pain. I don't want to scare them by talking about skin cancer, but after having a suspicious mole removed, we're not taking any chances. How do you explain that to a 4-year-old?

Me: Let's get sunscreen on so we can go outside.
[All kids scream and whine.]
Graham: Why do we have to use sunscreen?
Me: So you don't get spots all over your arms like mine. Do you see them?
Graham: Mommy, you look bootiful in your spots.
Me: [heavy sigh]

If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

3 comments:

Caleb 'n Christina said...

What about explaining it'll help prevent sunburn? You could tell him that if you go outside during spring, summer, or fall without sunscreen, your skin could get pink with sunburn and it HURTS! Then you don't even have to mention the "c" word, since that's a little abstract for them anyway. Just a thought!

Leigh Ann said...

Superhero spray that makes them run extra fast? hehe. I think the sunburn thing Caleb 'n Christina said would be good to try.

Still not fun to get sunscreen on that many people...I usually end up forgetting to put it on myself after managing to get it on the kids. :(

Valerie said...

I'll try both tactics and let you know which one works. :)

Or maybe I'll tell them that if they get burnt their skin will peel off. That should scare them into it.

...which is now mostly about the kids.