Thursday, March 29, 2012

Do we really need food?

I took the 3 kids to the grocery store yesterday. This means several things:

1. I load the kids into one of those X-Large carts that are as long as a semi-truck and twice as loud. (Seriously, I think they should put Wide Load signs on the back and install back-up sirens.)
2. Without fail, the kids get frustrated halfway through our trip, at which point I pull out large amounts of snacks and fervently pray that they last through the checkout lane.
3. We make an extended trip to the lobster tank to watch lobsters and run off energy.
4. My efforts were futile. The snacks never last through the checkout lane.

It is no wonder that I go alone when buying more than three items.

Gabriella has a few new habits lately, including pulling down her pants in public places and saying hi to everyone she meets. Yesterday, she said hello to every person we passed in an aisle. If they acknowledged her, she would say, "What you name? I Gabbywellwa." We saw an older gentleman in the toilet paper aisle and she went through the drill.

Gabriella: Hi! What you name? I Gabbywellwa.
[Man looks at me quizzically.]
Me: She said her name is Gabriella.
Man: Oh! I'm Mark.
Chase: There's a Chase Monkey back here!
[Man does not understand why he is talking about monkeys. Turns away.]
Chase: Hey! Come back here! I gotta talk to you!

Ordinarily, I would make a quick exit, but this is physically impossible with the aforementioned enormous cart. So we make a slow, rumbling exit made only more embarrassing by the fact that Chase was still yelling at his new friend who refused to pay attention to him.

7 comments:

Ben and Tabatha said...

I LOVE THIS and completely understand what you are talking about as far as the "Semi-carts". Logan is always asking if he can drive when we go into the grocery store. Audrey is the one that waves and smiles at everyone. I secretly pray that there aren't any "semi-carts" available before we get in the store. And it always takes at least 2 hours. Ben doesn't understand why I don't enjoy grocery shopping with the kids.

Unknown said...

I am sorry to laugh...but the way you write stuff cracks me up. I am picturing in my mind the entire scenario. Now that I think about it I always went to the grocery store alone, although one child is different than three. Keep the stories coming...I really enjoy them.

Unknown said...

Tammy J. Beckley was the unknown above, I guess I wasn't signed in.

Leigh Ann said...

Love that little friendly girl!!

I was secretly SO relieved when we went to Trader Joe's today and all the little mini-shopping carts were taken. I just didn't think I could handle getting my ankles ran over 58 times today. :)

Valerie said...

Tabatha, I always hope for the big carts, even if they're horrible to drive, because otherwise there's no room for all 3 kids + food. It's a no-win situation.

Tammy, I would love to have seen Jeffrey in one of those carts with a steering wheel.

Leigh Ann, maybe you should wear a pair of waders to Trader Joe's to protect your legs. :D

Michelle said...

Hahaha, Valerie! I love that you can take life's little moments and turn them into a comedy hour.

Anonymous said...

I have had to tell Jenna that she is not allowed to initiate an introduction when we're walking past people in the store; she's just allowed to say hello. Otherwise, she's left shouting, "Hey, what's your name?! WHAT'S YOUR NAME?!" to random people we've passed. I do allow her to have the conversation if we're actually standing in line or something stationary so she doesn't feel smothered.

...which is now mostly about the kids.