Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Another bad baby food idea.

We had a roast for lunch on Sunday and I thought, "Hey, I'll throw some carrots in with it, cut them up, and freeze them for an easy bite-size lunch for Graham!" Today I pulled them out of the freezer, put a handful of them in the microwave, turned it on, and watched as a huge fireball blew out of the carrots to the top of the microwave. Seriously, it looked like a miniature nuclear bomb went off.

I think it's because there were tiny pieces of meat stuck to the carrots and they got much hotter than the carrots themselves. When I tried it again, it looked like one caught on fire, albeit a much smaller fire than before. Then I warmed them up over the stove.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

*sigh* I really miss you! I am so sorry about the other week. I didn't come through the CBus area until late and the game lasted longer than I expected. I will have to meet up with you very soon (maybe first weekend of April if it works out) to catch up with you outside of the blogging world

Leigh Ann said...

weird, i had a similar conversation about this a while back. apparently some frozen veggies cause sparks in the microwave. i have had that happen with peas and green beans before too. i guess i never really microwaved vegetables often enough to notice before having kids. i'm not sure what causes the sparks, but if you look it up online there are a lot of articles about it. at first i thought my microwave was about to go out.

Valerie said...

Guess it wasn't just the meat, then. I'll have to investigate further. :) Thanks for the tip!

Melanie said...

I've had the same thing happen with carrots and sweet potatoes! Sparks! Flames! High drama.

...which is now mostly about the kids.